Sunday 22 March 2015

On this Day of Days.

I posted this on my Facebook page yesterday and the warmth I was given in return from my wonderful friends astonished me and has lifted me like nothing else. My opinion may not be popular with everyone but it is what I believe, and belief can move mountains.

Just ask Rukai.
_________________________________________________________________

Today is World Down Syndrome Day. 3/21, which represents those magical 3 copies of the 21st chromosome which has made our lives slightly more complicated than the average bear. But worse? Are you joking? Thatwouldbeabigfatno.

Today I'm supposed to sing about inclusion, and provide people with information. To rally up awareness and talk about wearing odd socks as a means to open the conversation. This thing they call 'lots of socks' can be Googled. I'm not going to elaborate here.

What I will say is piffle and balderdash on the odd socks. I think the whole odd sock thing is flipping ridiculous. Although it is not the purpose behind it, I just won't pursue an avenue which allows people to compare Rukai to an odd sock. That the Shiny People don't comprehend this, I do not see. But I'm not shiny, I'm Chicago. I'm 43. I'm a realist. I'm not naive enough to hope people don't jump to negative knee jerk conclusions on the sock thing. They will. So we'll stick to our two matching socks around here.

So that said, on this Day of Days I have two things to 'sing' about...

I am most looking forward to drumming up awareness of the DS association here in the UK next weekend in the Vision Wild Run - getting muddy for my buddy. Not asking a soul for sponsorship. Just for friendship. Just for the knowledge that you all maybe have a different perspective about DS from all my harping on. That you all know my son is the bees knees and I wouldn't trade him for all the pizza in Chicago. That people with DS are people. They are not DS. That maybe you'd tell someone off if you heard them calling a person 'a Down Syndrome'. If you ever get to that place and have that chance, let me know how it went down. I will buy you dinner and think of you as a hero til my dying day.

That is how important it all is to me. That is why I harp on about it. That is why there is a hide button on FB. But if you're still with me, you are still with Rukai and that says more than a bunch of odd socks.

If you don't already know, I will share with you the fact that DS has a gargantuanly vast spectrum of affectation and lo and behold Rukai is holding his own. That magic number three is still not presenting insurmountable challenges for us in our lives.

But you know what is?

The terrible twos. Followed by the screamy threes. Toddlerhood trumps DS in this house. Lays it flat or sends it screaming. Toddlerhood. Just like you did it. Just like I did it.

We all bleed red no matter how many chromosomes float around in that blood. And on this Day of Days that is all I want you to be aware of.

Much love from us all, my friends xxx

MSN 21 March 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.